Happy New Year And Here We Go Again...

1/2/19 -- The America's Automotive Trust Drive Home events celebrate the past, present, and future of the automobile. These drives are fun and exciting and at the same time challenging; after all, 12- to 14-hour days behind the wheel of a 50+ year-old car with no power steering that handles like a... 50+ year-old car with no power steering... takes focus and energy and isn't for the faint of heart. That's probably why at the end of the last two Drive Home events I told my wife: "Do me a favor, don't let me do this again..."

Well, she didn't do her part and here I am, like a moth to the flame, readying for our longest Drive Home yet -- a 2,700-mile zig-zag route that begins in Houston Jan. 3 and culminates in Detroit Jan. 12 with a drive down Woodward Avenue and a celebration to help open the North American International Auto Show.

And as if the distance wasn't enough, there's another little twist this year: We're driving some of the highest selling and hardest working vehicles ever made, ones that have been in great measure the backbone of our country's transportation network and a seminal part of our automotive history -- pickup trucks. 

Below are a couple of the workhorses that our friends Renee and Dale from LeMay-America's Car Museum readied for our little jaunt. We'll also have trucks from Hagerty, the NB Center and other car caravan-crashers we'll welcome with open arms. More photos and trucking tales to come as we make stops to check in with sponsors like State Farm and Shell as well as car collectors and other enthusiasts along the way.     



Now don't let my initial trepidation and second-guessing fool you; at the outset of this shiny new year I'm stoked to reunite with the team and climb behind the wheel for this next great Drive Home adventure, truckin' style. And as I get ready to board the plane today for Houston, I feel the Grateful Dead whispering in my ear:

Truckin', got my chips cashed in. Keep truckin', like the do-dah man
Together, more or less in line, just keep truckin' on....


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to following this adventure! Keep on Truckin'...

    ReplyDelete